Create a School Website - Part 1: Educational Aspects"School website" in this article is defined as the official presentation of a school on the internet. It is approved by the governing body of the school and shows the school as a whole as detailed as possible.
"School website" in this article is defined as the official presentation of a school on the internet. It is approved by the governing body of the school and shows the school as a whole as detailed as possible.
I. Starting Point
Having an own website is natural for most schools in 2010. Since internet accesses and dealing with contents from the Internet have become a reality also in schools by now, the school website is also a duty. It is expected from pupils, parents and at least the regional public - this particularly, since many schools offer a media concept. The school website is an excellent opportunity to prove the media competence of the pupils and teachers and at the same time to present the school easily accessibly and comprehensively in a broad public.
In the following, aims for a school website and special characteristics of a good school website are constituted in order to then explain which educational consequences arise from it for the practice.
II. Aims of a School Website
With the publication of the school website the school shows media competence in a broad public and can win advantages in the comparison with other schools through this. Additionally, the pupils involved identify themselves by the construction of the school website more strongly with the school.
The following aims seem particularly important to a school website:
- provision of information about the school and the school life
- public relations and publication of news
- publication of pupil work and link to the lessons
- publication of material and information for pupils
- acquisition of media competence and representation of this media competence: safety in dealing with media
- better positioning in the comparison with other schools
- improvement of the "corporate identity" (identification with the school)
- boost of communication and social competences
- ability for the planning and execution of a great project.