Create a School Website - Part 6: Practical Suggestions - Interactivity and CreativityThe computer is a great centre of attraction for most pupils. They write E-mails, chat, use online communities, listen to music from the Internet, play computer games and much more.
5. Interactivity and Creativity:
The computer is a great centre of attraction for most pupils. They write E-mails, chat, use online communities, listen to music from the Internet, play computer games and much more.
Striking is that the computer and Internet use is carried out almost exclusively in form of consuming:
- Online chatrooms and e-mail services are used to communicate fast
- Games are not formed themselves but played
- Internet pages are visited and only seldom made themselves
Almost all pupils know how they can create their own user profile and how they can upload pictures. However, you cannot be speaking of a comprehensive creative design. It almost always stays with consuming.
The fact that most pupils use many possibilities of the computer and the Internet can be taken into account. Internet offers can be visited together with the pupils and then analyzed critically, for example this way:
- Which functions offers a successfull online community? How can I start an online community myself?
- How is a computer game made? How does it have to be arranged to be fun?
- Is it difficult to form an internet page of one's own? What does a good website consist of?
- How do I plan an extensive web site like a school website in a team?
- What is a content management system and how does it help me?
- Which legal aspects have to be taken into account?
- What is usability? What do I have to pay attention to with that?
- Which interactive possibilities can be of use for the visitors of a school website?
Analyzing is the reason in many cases that pupils try out the functions themselves and want to form hereafter their own ideas. This way pupils can be led from consuming to creative design. They finally learn to realize ideas of their own and to publish them on the school website.
It must, however, be taken care of on this that by interaction no persons are disparaged or else legal aspects disregarded. A visitor's book should for example announce contents only after previous control. The possibility to "distort" photos should be given only with consent of the persons affected.